Australia Skilled Worker Program
Foreign workers can come to Australia to work in different types of visa. At present, the types of working visa for permanent residency in Australia are composed of two main categories:
- General Skilled Migration (GSM): point test calculation and do not require employer sponsorship
- Employer Sponsored Visa: no point test calculation but require employer sponsorship
General Skilled Migration Visa Program (GSM)
The General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa program is for those who are not sponsored by employers but skilled in certain occupations that Australia is in need of recruitment.
- The applicant’s occupation belongs to the following list that the Australia Government enacted (adjustable annually according to the job demand):
+ Skilled Occupation List (SOL): if the applicant is not guaranteed by a relative or appointed by a State or Territory of Australia.
+ Consolidated Sponsorship List (CSOL): if the application is designated by a State or Territory of Australia, or guaranteed by a qualified relative.
Simultaneously, applicants need to meet a requirement of point test scores (Evaluation Point Scale of Australian Immigration Service) for each visa type.
The GSM program offers variety of options for obtaining a skilled worker visa type. Each type of visa has different requirements, criteria and obligations. Foreign workers, depending on their abilities and desires, may choose one of the following visas:
1.Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) allows skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.
2.Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190) allows skilled workers who are nominated by an Australian state or territory government live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.
3.Skilled Regional (Provisional) (subclass 489) allows skilled workers to live and work in regional or low-population growth metropolitan areas of Australia for up to four years.
4.Skilled Regional (Residence) (subclass 887) This is the next step of the 489 visa, which allows the holder of this visa applies for permanent residency in Australia.
The GSM program has two basic features:
Based on Points Test: Applicants must reach the required score for each type of visa.
Invitation letter: Applicants must have a letter of invitation to apply for a visa.Immigration Point System (Points Test):
To participate in the GSM program, the applicant must have a career listed in the SOL or CSOL, depending on the visa they are applying for, and also reach sufficient Points Test scores for the selected occupation. The minimum score required is 60 points, based on factors such as:
– English proficiency
– Educational level & Degree
– Work experience
– The skills of the spouse and other factors
Employer Sponsored Visa Program
The Employer Sponsored Visa Program allows enterprises and / or other organizations in Australia and overseas to sponsor qualified and skilled worker to perform occupations which Australia is in need of recruitment.
- Unlike the GSM program, employees applying for the employer sponsored visa are not scored based on the Points Test. However, all applicants must meet the skills and requirements of the employer sponsored visa program in order to be eligible to apply for this visa.INTERIMM and partnership lawyers and collaborators in Australia can help Vietnamese workers find a qualified sponsorship corporation. Here are some common types of visa programs:
– Visa 457 (Temporary Work (Skilled), subclass 457): A temporary residence visa allows skilled workers to work for an approved business in Australia for up to 4 years.
– Visa 187 (Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS), subclass 187):This is a permanent residence visa for skilled workers who want to work in regional Australia. Applicants can have the opportunity to be granted permanent residency and become Australian citizens.
– Visa 186 (Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS), subclass 186): A visa issued to a foreign skilled worker who was nominated by an Australian employer. Applicants are granted permanent residency in Australia and have the opportunity to apply for Australian citizenship through the following streams: temporary residence transition, direct entry, agreement.